I hope you get as much pleasure out of “The Rules” as I have. By the way, even though I received a hard copy of these rules from my professor last quarter and it stated on that copy that the source was unknown (I typed it for you the way I received it), I did an internet search because I do believe in giving credit where credit is due if at all possible. According to one site, these rules appear to be an excerpt from a larger piece with the same title from the book, If Life is a Game, These are the Rules by Cherie Carter-Scott. So, thank you, Cherie Carter-Scott for reminding me of what I already know but sometimes need to be reminded — what it means to be human. Maybe this will help me relax a little.
Lastly, if any of my Wayward Friends come across words or an article or something funny — or if you have written something that you think others may be inspired by or that might provide a much-needed chuckle, please let me know. I’ll be glad to share it with others on my site. I can’t pay you, but I’ll credit you for providing and/or authoring it. Hope to hear from you soon!
- You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it but it will be yours for the entire period you’re here.
- You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like what you learn or think the lessons are irrelevant and stupid.
- There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is the process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works.”
- A lesson is repeated until it is learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
- Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
- “There” is no better than “here.” When your “there” has become a “here” you will obtain another “there” that will, again, look better than “here.”
- Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
- What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
- Your answers lie inside you. The answers to life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust.
- You will forget all this.
(Found on a refrigerator door – If you can identify the author, please let us know.)